In this episode I talk with one of Under the Gum Tree’s previous contributors, Dorian Fox. Dorian essays, articles and stories have appeared in december, Gastronomica, Alimentum, Monkeybicycle, National Parks Magazine, and elsewhere. His work has also been shortlisted for awards by Ploughshares, Phoebe and The Bellingham Review. He received his MFA in Creative Nonfiction from Emerson College and teaches writing at Grub Street in Boston. His essay “The Other First,” appears in the January 2016 issue of Under the Gum Tree.
Listen & Subscribe:
In this episode we talk about:
- The nakedness that comes with writing nonfiction and claiming your personal experience
- How to not get tripped up by facts when writing nonfiction
- Embracing and honoring your own subjective version of truth when writing
- Anxieties and concerns that develop when we age, and when we age in a relationship
- How we revise, recast, or recalibrate our personal life stories and see it with fresh perspective
- Dorian’s work teaching at Grub Street in Boston
- Teaching writing and how it influences Dorian’s own creative work as a writer
- The craft books The Art of Memoir, by Mary Karr; The Situation and the Story, by
- Vivian Gornick; and On Writing, by Stephen King
- The cult-classic films Motorphsyco! and Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!
- Visit Dorian online at dorianfox.com
Visit us online at moretothestorypodcast.com and visit Under the Gum Tree at underthegumtree.com.
Follow Under the Gum Tree Twitter and Instagram @undergumtree. Follow me on Twitter @justjanna and @jannamarlies on Instagram.
Find out about my 6-week email audio course at jannamarlies.com/cnf101course.